This may sound easy to many of you.. But for me it was not... When I got married, I had no idea of how to make upma.My husband likes upma. So no other go i have to make it.Wen i cooked uppam for 1 st time that was horriable. My husband is the chef in making Upma i learned from him :).
- Sooji/Rava - 1 cup
- Water - 2 1/2 cups
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dhall - 1/2 tsp
- Channa dhall - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida powder - a pinch
- Green chillies - 1 or 2 (acc to taste)
- Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Curry leaves - few
- cashew - few
- Coriander leaves - 2 tsp (chopped)
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Dry roast the rava in a pan until aromatic and toasted.
- keep aside, let it cool.
- Take a pan, pre heat oil and ghee, splutter mustard seeds, add urad dhall, channa dhall , cashews and asafoetida powder and fry it till golden brown.
- Add green chilliesand saute' for a minute.
- Add 2 cups water and let it come to a boil and add salt.
- Now add the toasted rava, slowly while continuing to stir the mixture.
- Be careful and keep stirring otherwise the semolina will get lumpy. This step takes approx. less 1 minute to cook.