1. Pillaiyarpatti is located in Sivagangai District of Tamil Nadu.It is situated between Karaikudi. ie Three Kilometers away from Kundrakkudi.
2. PILLAIYARPATTI is one of the nine Nagarakkovil divisions of Nattukkottai Nagarathar Community.
3. Pillaiyarpatti Karpaga Vinayagar is carved out in a cave of Pillaiyarpatti Hillocks. Lord Vinayagar is carved out from the rock of the cave. Lord Thiruveesar ( SIVAN ) is also carved in the rock of this cave. History states that Pandiya Kingshad designed these structures in the caves.
4. The age of the cave temple is 2500 years or more. There are 14 stone Sculptures in the cave ( from 500 BC to 1284 AD ). These stone Sculptures state that ancient names of PILLAIYARPATTI as EKKATTOOR, THIRUVEENKAIKKUDI, MARUTHANGUDI, and RAJANARAYANAPURAM.
5. From 1284 AD, Rights of this temple were given to Nattukottai Nagarathars STONE sculptures at Thiruveesar Temple cave state this.Just like Karpaga Tree Loard Karpaga Vinayagar grants all Blessings. In view of this Load Vinayagar is named KARPAGA VINAYAGAR. The name “ Thesi Vinayaga Pillaiyar” is also there in the stone sculptures.
6. Worship of Lord Vinayagar is found in different parts of the world through ages. In this, Karpaga Vinayagar worship finds first place down through the ages and it is also regarded as First Loard Vinayagar.
7. In the world there are 2 Vinayagars who are having 2 hands. One is at Pillaiyarpatti and the other is at AFKANISTHAN – Lord Vinayagar at AFKANISTHAN is in standing position with so many ornaments of later age.
8. Pillaiyarpatti Karpaga Vinayagar is having only 2 hands which is a special feature.
9. The Sculptor who designed the figure of Load Vinayagar also had registered his signature as “ EKKATTOOR KONE PERUMPARANAN” ( Perunthatchan) is in Tamil letters which was in use between 400 BC and 500 BC. From this we can take for granted that is was carved just before 500 BC.
10. From the history of divine architecture and from stone sculptures and from the available documentary evidence Pillaiyarpatti KARPAGAVINAYAGAR figure alone is the first Pillaiyar in the world.
11. Karpaga Vinayagar is not having Mothakam (Sweet) at his right hand.He is in meditation ( having Lingam at his right hand ) for welfare of the entire Universe. Since he is Yoga Vinayagar (Vinayagar with Meditation and all fortunes) he grants all good thinks we request.
12. Vinayagar’s trunk is curved at the right side ( Valampuri Vinayagar) which is also a unique feature. Lord Karpaga Vinayagar is seated facing northern side. In view of this those who pray to him get success after success.
13. There are deities in this temple such as goddess Karthiyayini ( who arrange marriages) Nagalingam ( who gifts offspring to human beings) Pasupatheeswarar ( who showers all wealth).
14. Vinayagar Chathurthi is the very important festival in this temple. It is 10 days festival. Kappaukkattutual and hoisting temple flag begin before 9 days. At the 9 th day car festival and much celebrated decoration of sandal covering ( Santha-na-kkappu) to Pillaiyar takes place.
15. Devotees who observe Chathurthi Fast for a year come to Pillaiyarpatti on Avani Sukkilaptcha Chathurthi day (Festival) and fulfills it. They observe fast on Chathurthi day in front of vinayagar sannaidhi and take part in “ KumnaJebam” and receive holy pot of chanted holywater and take bath taking for granted that they bathe Loard Vinayagar seated in their hearts. Observing of Vinayagar Chathurthi Fast for one full year brings all blessings and wealth to devotees and it is also a proved fact.
INFORMATION FROM WIKIPEDIA